If you watch my streams at http://www.twitch.tv/ud1ebygaming (<- see what I did there) you will notice that I pull my webcam down from time to time. This is because I have the nasty habit of smoking cigarettes and have since I was a Freshman in high school. I would blame my upperclassmen on the football team but let’s be real, the choice was my own. Today, I want to discuss just how detrimental smoking cigarettes for your gameplay and your computer!!
This article won’t touch on health risks as we all already know them, or at least, have a thought towards how bad it is. Rather this article will address what other detrimental effects it has on your gameplay and your computer. Though I hate to admit it, I have died several times in a ranked match of League of Legends due to a cigarette. There is NOTHING more frustrating then knowing you just let your whole team down because of your selfishness/addiction. Let’s break down all the ways smoking cigarettes have screwed me in the past, the list is longer than one might think!
- The obvious, I had a cigarette in my hand while playing and it caused me to press the wrong key.
- I got the infamous “Pirate Eye” and died. For those that don’t smoke, Pirate Eye is a term that refers to smoke getting in your eye while playing causing it to burn and water. As you can see, this always causes a problem lol.
- I wasn’t playing attention to the last time I ashed my cigarette and burnt myself while fighting for baron. Not only do you burn yourself but then you ash on your keyboard/desk and have to clean it up during the game as well!
- Another obvious one, you have to put the damn thing out! I can usually manager this between creep waves but it is just a pure pain in the ass.
- Tied to my point above, sometimes you don’t put your cigarette out all the way. Now you have a choice; deal with the horrid smell of a cigarette filter burning OR take your attention off the game and put it out… Again.
Some that read that list will be disgusted, I don’t blame you. Those that smoke that read that list will hopefully get a chuckle or two as they have been in the same situation. Regardless, the facts are the facts, smoking lowers my skill level at any game I play.
Now to my second point, smoking kills your computer. There are studies done that will tell you it doesn’t, I am a software developer with a background in IT.
SMOKING CIGARETTES WILL KILL YOUR COMPUTER MUCH QUICKER.
This isn’t an opinion, it’s fact. Every little piece of ash that doesn’t make it in the ash tray likes to find it’s way to your fan. Some electronics are able to handle smoke much easier than others. Computers… Not one of those electronics. There are many exposed wires on a computer through the vent holes of your case. When smoke gets into the wires, it tends to leave resin. Resin can be looked at as soot. Long term exposure to smoke can cause this to build up and ruin some sort of communication to a bus on your machine. There are a plethora of issues that come from this. Some in my field consider a smokers machine to last half as long as a nonsmokers. Now I will call BS on that but I do agree that smoking willharm your computer (as well as your t.v.). Fans always go out in the first place, smoking kills them much faster.
Tip: If your computer boots fine and out of nowhere shuts itself down, you have a virus or your fan is bad.
I have decided that maybe it is time to quit smoking and with your guys help, hopefully I can achieve this goal.
See you on stream!